Poori and Potato is still the favourite Sunday breakfast menu at our place and it is the only thing that brings my boys to the breakfast bench without my constant yelling !!
Please find the recipe for Poori at the my previous post here.
- Organic Potatoes ( I get them from here ) : 4 Nos
- Onion : 2 (sliced)
- Green Chillies : 3
- Ginger : 1 piece (chopped).
- Coconut Oil : 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Fennel Seeds : 1/4 tsp
- Split black Gram ( Urad Daal ) : 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Curry leaves : a few
- Dried red chillies : 2
- Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper powder : 1/2 tsp
- Salt : 1 tsp ( please adjust as per taste)
- Water : about 1/2 cup
- Coconut milk : 1/2 cup
- Wash the potatoes and cook them in a pressure cooker.
- Peel them and then mash them to the consistency that you prefer. We don't like it too mushy. So I like to keep a few chunks.
- Heat a pan and add oil. Once it is hot add the ingredients 6-9.
- Wait till the mustard seeds finish cracking and the daal turn light brown.
- Then add curry leaves and the dried red chillies and saute for a minute.
- Now add the onion along with the green chillies and ginger. Saute this until the onion turn light brownish without burning.
- Now add the mashed potato and mix well.
- Add the turmeric powder , pepper powder and salt and mix well.
- If you want a dry version, you can stop it here after a few minutes of stirring until everything is well incorporated.
- Else add some water and let it cook for another 5 minutes until all the water gets absorbed.
- Again adding coconut milk is optional and keep stirring until it is all absorbed.
The Spicy Potato curry is ready to be served with Poori !!