Weekends call for some snack time for kids and here is a 3rd version of murukku / chakkli / rice fritters that my kids love.
Please find the other two versions here..version 2 & version 1..!!!
- Rice : 2 cups
- Split Urad daal : 1 cup
- Water : 1 cup
- Carom seeds ( Ajwain ) : 3 tsp
- Chillie powder : 1 tsp ( adjust as per taste)
- Ghee : 1/4 cup
- Salt : 1 1/2 tsp ( adjust as per taste)
- Oil : enough for frying.
- Wash and soak the rice in some water and keep aside for at least 3 hours.
- Meanwhile dry roast the Urad daal in a pan until it turns light brown and allow this to cool.
- Next , dry roast the carom seeds without burning.
- Take the roasted urad daal and carom seeds in a mixer and grind to a fine powder and keep this in a mixing bowl.
- Once the rice is ready after 3 hours of soaking, take it in the mixer along with 1 cup of water and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add the rice batter to the mixing bowl along with the rest of the ingredients ( 5,6,7).
- Mix it all together and knead with your hands to a nice dough. If required add little water / coconut milk to bring it all together.
- Now it is time to shape the dough to make the murukku and we need the murukku press.
- Fill in the murukku press and make murukku shapes on small sheets of paper.
- Meanwhile heat a frying pan and add the oil for frying.
- Once the oil is hot enough, start frying the murukku in batches.
- Turn over to get both sides done without burning.
- Drain on a kitchen towel and start munching !