Just a Smoothie for a breakfast ??
Before trying it, I wasn't convinced about feeling full having just a smoothie for breakfast. But now , it is just the other way around. Is there anything better than a smoothie for a breakfast ?? I can't have anything more than a healthy smoothie for the breakfast and it keeps me going till noon with full energy.
There are many benefits for starting your day with a smoothie.
- Easy and quick to make.
- Helps to keep the blood sugar levels balanced and keeping you feel full for longer time.
- Makes all vital nutrients easily absorbed to the body.
- Easy to make sure that you include the daily recommended intake of fruits and vegetables in you diet.
- Can make different combinations depending on what is available daily.
There are many versions of smoothies around , but I've made my own rules for a family breakfast smoothie after a few months of experiments....
- 80 % : less sugary Vegetables like Celery, Zucchini, Cucumber, Beetroot etc...carrots are bit high in sugar, but they are great too.
- 20% : less sugary and low GI fruits like berries , pears , avocado, kiwi fruit, apples, Indian gooseberries, guavas , papaya, cherries , apricot etc.
- 1-2 Tbsps of : flaxseeds (roasted) / sesame seeds(roasted) / chia seeds
- a few : soaked cashews/ almonds (the protein part)
- optional : Dates / Honey for sweetness.
- optional : coconut milk
So there isn't a specific recipe for a great smoothie as long as you are happy with the taste of the ingredients you are putting into your blender.
Today's smoothie is having the following and it serves 2 people.
- Granny Smith Apples ( green apples ) : 2
- Pears : 2
- Celery sticks : 3 stems
- Blueberries : 1/4 cup
- Sesame seeds : 1 Tbsp
- Coconut Milk : 1/4 cup
- Almond meal : 1 Tbsp
- Wash and clean the vegetables and fruits.
- I prefer to peel them if they are not organic.
- Cut them into small pieces.
- Take all the ingredients into your blender , add some water if you prefer. And then just a matter of blending them all to your preferred consistency.
- It is preferred to enjoy the smoothie as soon as you make it.
- There are many benefits of adding greens in your smoothie. But I understand that having raw greens is not good for people like me suffering from under active thyroid conditions and so I avoid greens from my smoothies.
- Also being dairy free myself , I don't prefer to have milk - based smoothies.