Protected by Copyscape DMCA Violation Detector

Subscribe to Panchamrutham

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Uzhunnu Vada / Split Black Gram or Urad Daal Fritters

Uzhunnu Vada / Split Black Gram Fritters

I was never fond of these fritters and so never bothered to make them before marriage....Only after marriage I realized that I am married to a vada loving person , who can have this any time without counting on the number of them served to him.....He will be very happy to help me out in the kitchen if I decide to make vada which is the only factor that motivates me in vada making , as I still dont like them much...

I had started making these ones under the guidance of my MIL who is an expect in making them to perfection...



First time when I saw doughnuts, these fritters were the ones that came to my mind....Later on I learned the difference between them....These are savory ones compared to the sweet doughnuts and are made from Split black gram or urad daal...

Back home , stone grinders are used to make the vada batter and they do give a better batter for a perfect vada...Here I depend on my blender to do the job and it wasn't bad either...When you want to make the batter for a few people, blender / mixer will be a better option I feel....

Here comes the recipe..   


Ingredients
  1. Urad daal / Split black gram              - 1 cup
  2. Rice flour                                               - 1 Tbsp [ optional , if you want to add some crispiness ]
  3. Grated carrot                                       - 1/2 cup
  4. Grated ginger                                       - 1/2 tsp
  5. Salt                                                         - 1 tsp
  6. Crushed pepper                                    -  1/2 tsp
  7. Oil                                                           - enough for frying
[ Sometimes I do add grated cabbage, chopped onion, green chilies , curry leaves etc....
So the ingredients is upto you....]

Preparation

Uzhunnu Vada Making


  1. Wash and soak the daal for at least 2 hrs.
  2. Drain the daal and blend it in a mixer / blender to a smooth paste without adding any water.
  3. Add ingredients 2 to 6 to the batter and mix well.
  4. Heat oil in a wide mouth pan.
  5. Before start making the vadas, keep a bowl of cold water for wetting your palms.
  6. Wet your hands with water and take a small lemon size of batter on your palm. Wet the other hand and flatten the ball shape with it.
  7. Again dip your index finger in water and then punch in to the middle to make the vada shape. [ I have used the plate just for the click ].
  8. Once the oil is hot enough, slowly add the vada into it.
  9. Repeat the process in batches until all the batter is finished.
  10. Keep the flame on a medium low while making vadas so that the inside gets cooked without burning the outside.
  11. Turn over to get both sides done uniformly.
  12. Once the vadas are lightly brown in color take them out from the oil and drain on a paper towel.

They are best served along with coconut chutney and Sambar



Note : I could make 20 vadas from the above recipe



Uzhunnu Vada / Urad Daal Fritters

Do try out these fritters for your next evening tea session and Enjoy........


 

Have a Great Weekend and Enjoy...


33 comments:

  1. Perfectly made vada...An all time family favorite.

    Herbs & Flowers: Spring Onions

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of trying these, I'm not much of a vada person but I love dahi vada so I thought I'll have to learn how to make vadas first.

    Your vads look perfect... most people take shortcut of making it like small balls, but the hole gives it the authentic feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously drooling over that super crispy vadas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice vada looks so yummy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best tea time snack ever..classic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Addition of carrot is a nice twist to regular vada

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adipoli vada, my hubby to vada lover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh Deepti, I am now craving them big time!! and i love the grated carrots you've added there! Makes it sort of a wee bit more guilt free?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to make these vadas this weekend, for the first time in life!! :D
    I like your semi-circular plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy...yummy! one of my fav snacks!! must try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect vadas. Lovely with a cup of hot steaming tea. Anzzcafe has completed 1 year of blogging. You were amongst the first readers of my blog and your words were a great source of encouragement. Thank you for being a part of my small world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower :-)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, filled with loads of happiness, good health and wonderful blessings. May all your wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Announcing Valentines Special - my 1st blog event along with a give away. Please do be a part of it and send in your recipes, making this event a success.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow...........looks really awesome.u made it perfectly......

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice Vada and delicious. I like also Uzhunuthu Vada also called Medhu Vadai. Perfect preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. first time here.... glad to follow you .... very lovely blog ...very yummy and tempting vadas ..they look great... visit my blog
    www.sriyafood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love Vada and it looks crispy and tasty.. Do visit mine if you have some time to spare http://youtoocancookindianfood.blogspot.in/

    Happy to follow you

    ReplyDelete
  19. vada looks so great. all the vada has same size. perfectly done dear. so flavorful. lovely

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vada looks awesome..superb clicks :) glad to follow you :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow this looks so delicious and tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com


    ReplyDelete
  23. Se ven muy deliciosos se parecen mucho a nuestros "Picarones",hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Town Square
Chefs Blogs
All Cooking Sites Indian Cooking Blogs