Protected by Copyscape DMCA Violation Detector

Subscribe to Panchamrutham

Friday, November 4, 2011

Nadan Kozhi curry / Kerala Chicken Curry

Nadan kozhi Curry / Kerala Chicken curry

It is high time that I post some non veg recipe before I myself forget the fact that I haven't started a veg only recipe blog ....


The problem with posting my non veg recipes is that I dont get to click any of them, as they directly go to the dining table....


Luckily today I got the chance to get some snaps of one of the easiest and simplest Kerala chicken recipes that I know , known as Nadan [ meaning common ] chicken curry...I would like to call it the basic chicken recipe which I have been cooking from the day I started trying my hands in the kitchen , even before marriage...With this basic recipe in hand, do what ever alterations you want and you can turn it into any new variety you like...

As this is the common recipe that I prefer to make normally [other than on special occasions ] , I keep forgetting that I need to record it in my recipe journal....That was one more reason for its delay in getting posted..

Finally here is the simple recipe for a spicy chicken curry from the land of Kerala...



Ingredients




Ingredients other than chicken




  1. Chicken 1 Kg [ Cut into desired size pieces and washed ]
  2. Oil 2 Tbsp [ preferably coconut oil for the authentic taste ]
  3. Curry leaves 2 sprigs
  4. Onion 3 [ finely chopped]
  5. Ginger 1 small piece [ chopped]
  6. Garlic 3 pods [ chopped]
  7. Tomato 2 [ finely chopped]
  8. Kashmiri Red Chilli powder 2 tsp [ adjust as per taste ]
  9. Coriander powder 2 tsp
  10. Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
  11. Garam Masala Powder 2 tsp
  12. Salt 1 1/2 tsp
  13. Water 2 cups
  14. Coriander leaves for garnishing


Nadan Kozhi Curry




Preparation
  1. Wash and clean the chicken and marinate it with little of all the ingredients from 8 to 12. [ Marianating for at least a couple of hours to overnight will enhance the flavor. Do keep refrigerated if you are keeping for long].
  2. Heat a large non stick pan and add oil to it.
  3. Once it is hot add the curry leaves followed by ginger , garlic and green chilies. Saute them for a couple of minutes.
  4. Add onion along with salt and keep stirring till it turns soft and mushy.
  5. Once the onion has turned lightly brownish, add the tomatoes and keep stirring till they become soft.
  6. Add the remaining powders from 8 to 11 and keep stirring on a medium flame without getting them burnt for a couple of minutes.
  7. Finally add the chicken pieces and keep stirring till the pieces get coated with all the gravy. For about 5 minutes.
  8. You can see some of the liquid start oozing from the chicken.
  9. Now it is time to add water and close the pan. Let it get cooked in medium heat until the gravy thickens.
  10. You can stir in between. It takes about 20 to 25 mins for the chicken to get cooked.
  11. For an even faster preparation you can do it in a pressure cooker which I dont try normally.
  12. Garish with some Coriander leaves and serve hot with Rice or Roti.


Note : The recipe serves 6 people



Nadan Kozhi curry



My favorite combination is chicken curry with Roti [ Indian bread ]......

Do try out the recipe and Enjoy.......


I'm sending this chicken curry for the Kerala Kitchen event hosted by Fajeeda.

20 comments:

  1. Looks yumm.. For me its the other way round.. I try to cook veggie dishes just for my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... chicken curry looks delicious... yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super delicious curry...I too love them with roti or malabar porotta...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me drool,mouthwatering kozhi curry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love Kerala chicken preparations!! This sounds easy and awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious curry,makes me drool..yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks very tempting and mouthwatering !! Beautiful clicks !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very tempting, lovely clicks too..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pictures and great recipes all of them :)
    Thanks for dropping by. Will be back to see more kerala special recipes here :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy chicken curry,looks so tempting.
    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! It looks very delicious and yummy! Slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for coming by my blog and leaving a comment.
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2011/11/root-vegetable-casserole-with-chive.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice recipe and looks yummy!


    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. chicken curry looks flavourful, spicy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kozhi curry looks absolutely delicious. nice clicks as well :)
    Great space, would love to follow you. Check out my space as well....

    http://cook-ezee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Town Square
Chefs Blogs
All Cooking Sites Indian Cooking Blogs