Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Manga Curry / Mango Pickle

mango pickle / manga curry

During my first Onam here, I was wondering whether I will have to buy store bought mango pickle for the sadya or not, as Mangoes were not something common that I found here...It should come from other states...But with the onset of Spring, [ which falls in time for Onam ] Mangoes start coming to market....The first time I saw raw mango in the shops here, was a moment of great joy...

Now that years have passed, I wait for spring to bless us with some mangoes.......
And finally they are here  this year too....



Last time I had shared another mango pickle called kadumanga which is a dry preparation. Today's pickle is more runny and so we call it manga curry....Because of the moisture content it wont stay longer like the other one...But it is not a problem as it wont be there to be stored for longer at my home....

This is again one of my favorite recipes from my MIL which I love a lot....

Here is it.

Ingredients
  1. Raw Mango                  -    2 Nos.
  2. Salt                                -    1 Tbsp
  3. Seasame oil                  -   3 Tbsps
  4. Mustard seeds            -    1 Tbsp
  5. Turmeric powder        -    1/8 tsp
  6. Asafoetida                    -    1/4 tsp
  7. Red chillie Powder      -   2 Tbsps
  8. Fenugreek powder     -   1/4 tsp
  9. Water                           -    1/4 cup
Mango 

Preparation
  1. Wash the mangoes and wipe them to get devoid of any moisture.
  2. Cut them into small cubes. Size depends on your preference. I like small cubes.
  3. Take it in a bowl and mix with salt. Keep this for at least a day before making the pickle. This helps for the salt to get infused and bring out the natural moisture from mango. I had kept for 2 days.
  4. So with the time consuming part over, you can make the pickle any time you wish. 
  5. First mix the ingredients 5 to 8 with water to a smooth paste and keep aside.
  6. Now heat a small pan and add oil.
  7. Once it is hot, add mustard seeds and allow them to sputter.
  8. Now keep the flame to low and add the masala paste to it. Keep stirring and bring it to boil. Let it cook for a couple of minutes and then turn off the flame.
  9. Allow the gravy to cool down completely.
  10. Now transfer it to the mango pieces and mix well. 
  11. Pickle is ready to be stored. You can keep it refrigerated for a longer shelf life.
  12. Use a clean and dry spoon to take the pickle.
Mango Pickle / Manga Curry



Enjoy making this easy pickle for the upcoming OnaSadya.

17 comments:

  1. A big ship is ailing in my mouth right now..cannot control it any more.....drool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this any day and you have done so perfect ....am just drooling here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowww... looks so delicious and perfect.. Yummy :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slurp,tongue tickling fingerlicking mango pickle..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tongue tickling pickle...looks so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! I love it very much

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tempting and yummy pickle..perfect with curd and rice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowwwwwwwwwwwww... mouth watering here.. looks so so so delicious and perfect.. simply inviting dear. .

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy pickle.... onam preparations started alle :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this mango pickle, looks super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. delicious I make sweet pickle like this

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...