Pumpkin bread was something I tried for the first time last year when the whole pumpkin that I bought for vishukani was waiting for my mercy....Otherwise I used to buy only cut pumpkin pieces just to add in Sambar or make Erissery....Once I tried this divine bread, no more buying cut pieces of pumpkin....
I have tried different versions of pumpkin bread till now...with eggs, eggless , with n without milk etc...etc...etc...
But the one that I am sharing today is my favorite among them.......
In this I have reduced the sugar that I normally use and instead added some chopped dates which gave a natural sweetness to the bread....Also I have used whole wheat flour instead of plain flour......And landed up with a healthy way to enjoy Pumpkin for our breakfast....
Here comes the easy n simple recipe...
- Whole Wheat Flour - 2 cups
- Sugar - 1/3 cup
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1/2 cup [ I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil ]
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Pumpkin Puree - 1 cup
- Nutmeg powder - 1 tsp
- Pitted Dates [ chopped] - 1/2 cup
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C.
- Blend together pumpkin puree, oil and yogurt to a smooth paste. You can use your hand mixer or a blender.
- Add sugar and blend again until it all get dissolved and combined well. Keep aside this wet mixture.
- Mix together flour, baking powder , baking soda and nutmeg powder in a bowl.
- Now add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and fold in without any lumps.
- Finally add the chopped dates and mix uniformly.
- Tranfer to a 8'' x 4'' loafpan and bake for 55-60 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow it to rest in the pan for a few minutes before taking out.
- Let the bread cool on a wire rack before slicing.
- Pumpkin Bread is ready to be Sliced and Stored. Enjoy as and when you like.