Protected by Copyscape DMCA Violation Detector

Subscribe to Panchamrutham

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ariyunda / Kerala's Rice Laddu

Ariyunda

Here is another Kerala snack from my kitchen....A low GI,  Guilt free snack to munch on anytime.........

It is one of those sweets that will take you down the memory lane....The one you can always link with your active childhood days munching on while running around....


Myself , though from the land of Matta Rice / Parboiled brown Rice / Kuthari ,  was never a fan of it.....I always used to fancy the long grained white rice or Basmati rice.....And spolit by my mom, who always used to make white rice for me separately , I never had to have brown rice at all while I was in Kerala.....

Now, starting with my own kitchen rules and to find ways for healthy eating in a world filled with all sorts of processed food, got my self change to low GI alternatives...And there comes the realization of what I was missing all throughout my life........Yes, The God's own country's matta rice is a low GI alternative for white rice....


Better late than never....So Matta rice is there in my shopping list now and has turned out to be my son's favorite too..... After all, the taste of Kerala is there in his blood too....

And here comes a simple n guilt free snack recipe that you can try with matta Rice..

Ingredients
  1. Matta Rice / Brown Rice  / Kuthari         - 1 cup
  2. Powdered Jaggery                                      - 1/3 cup
  3. Grated Coconut                                           - 1/3 cup
  4. Cardamom pods                                          - 5 nos [ Else use 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder]
Preparation

Preparation
  1. Wash and drain the rice.
  2. Heat a wok / a large pan and roast the rice in it. No need to add any oil. Please remember to keep the flame on medium.
  3. The rice will start popping and it will turn brownish in color. It takes about 15 - 20 mins.
  4. Transfer the roasted rice to a plate and allow it to cool.
  5. Meanwhile add coconut in the same pan and lightly roast it. For about 5 mins and keep aside.
  6. Now grind the roasted rice to a fine powder in a mixer and transfer it to a mixing bowl or a plate.
  7. In the same mixer take the roasted coconut , Jaggery and cardamom pods and grind them to a paste.
  8. Transfer this mix to the bowl with the rice powder.
  9. Mix them all together. Take handful of the mixture and start shaping to small balls.
  10. Ariyunda / Rice laddus are ready to be munched on.
  11. You can store them in a clean and air tight container to enjoy later.
Ariyunda, Ready to Munch on

Note :

 I could make 16 Ariyundas from the above recipe. 
They can last longer if you store properly.



Ariyunda, Ready to be stored

15 comments:

  1. Looks very neat n yum ..using brown rice is gud one and your pics are fab

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rice laddoos looks super cute and addictive..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks divine,makes me nostalgic..yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laddo's looks absolutely delicious, it's a droolworthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ariyunda is one of my fav snack.!! My grandma make the bestest ariyunda:-)This one looks soo adorable:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful ariyundas, they look superb dear..feel like having one now..

    Ongoing Event at Good Food:
    COOK IT HEALTHY:PROTEINicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pics and I feel like grabbing one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very new ladoo recipe ~ sounds so authentic n looks so addictive :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this..but ver lazy to make them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks awesome!!!! Ive never tried to make this on my own... I always thought it was very complicated. You make it seem so easy thanks to your step-by-step pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. whoa,looks incredible..feel like having some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goshh.. I adore you for putting up this recipe.. I love ari unda so much.. Mum used to make it always.. Cant wait to make these at home :D Thank you so much dear..

    ReplyDelete
  13. this one definitely takes me down the memory lane..love ariyunda, but never tried making it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ithu kayicha kalam marannu..lovely and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely rice laddoos...have eaten once when I was in Chennai....very easy recipe!! will give it a try
    A Girl's Diary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Town Square
Chefs Blogs
All Cooking Sites Indian Cooking Blogs