Last month we had some visitors from India and we were delighted to get a packet of Kaju Katli from one of our favorite shops in Bangalore.......Needless to say that it got over in a few minutes leaving us with more craving for something similar to that....
I had no other option than going into my pantry and there was this packet of almond meal that I had kept for making some almond cake....hmmmmmmmm, that taste of kaju katli was still there in my tongue and it changed my mind from trying a cake to this lovely almond halwa........Sweet cravings are something you need to get a hold of ..Right ?.....
Ya I know that, but cant resist at times like these.....
The outcome was perfect and satisfying for all of us...
Here is how I made it....
- Almond Meal - 2 cups [ 300gm packet]
- Sugar - 3/4 cup [ You can increase up to 1 cup if you prefer]
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp [ optional ]
- Ghee - 1 Tbsp
- Milk - 3/4 cup
- Heat water in a non stick pan and add sugar to it.
- Keep stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Add cardamom powder and bring it to boil.
- Now add the almond meal and keep stirring until everything comes together.
- It will be crumbled at this stage.
- Add ghee and mix well followed by the addition of milk.
- Keep stirring the mixture until it starts to separate from the sides of the pan. It takes about 10 mins.
- Keep a plate greased with little ghee and transfer the mixture to it.
- Once cooled down you can shape it as you wish and start enjoying.
Note : It can be kept refrigerated for long.