Theeyal got its name because of the roasted ingredients used in its gravy preparation...It is yet another delicacy from the land of coconut trees and so without mentioning, it has coconut as one of the main ingredients........It is a spicy preparation that goes well with rice......
Veggie versions of theeyal also are made at home with veggies like brinjal, okra etc....Todays's recipe is with prawns as I simply couldn't come home without buying them when I saw some fresh prawns in the fish market today...
Here goes the simple recipe.....
|Ingredients for gravy|
- Prawns - 1/4 kg
- Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Onion - 1 [Chopped . Shallots are used normally, which I dont get here much. ]
- Tamarind - one small ball
- Dried Red Chillie - 3 Nos
- Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 1 pod
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Peel and clean the prawns and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the onion , followed by chillies, coriander seeds , chopped garlic and finally the grated coconut, till the coconut turns brownish.
- Now add the tamarind pieces to this and turn off the flame.
- Allow the mixture to cool down.
- Now blend them to a fine paste in a mixer adding little water to make it a smooth gravy and keep aside.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan and add oil to it.
- Once it is hot, add mustard seeds and allow them to sputter.
- Now add curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add the cleaned prawns and saute them for a couple of minutes.
- Add salt and turmeric powder followed by the gravy which is already prepared.
- Add 1 cup of water and bring it to boil. Adjust salt at this stage.
- Allow the prawns to get cooked. It may take about 15-20 mins.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with rice and Enjoy......
This serves 4.
Note: The roasted ingredients can be powdered without adding any water and kept refrigerated for longer time. Theeyal can thus be made a handy item in your menu with prawns or any veggies of your choice.