Egg curry is a very handy recipe for a lazy Sunday morning...And it makes a wonderful combination with Puttu, Appam or Idiyappam......just naming a few items from the Kerala Kitchen.....You can always try and make your own combinations....
Including eggs for your breakfast is a good option to start your day...They are so rich in protein and keeps you feel full for a longer time.....
The recipe is quite simple and here it is for you to try out...
- Eggs - 3 Nos
- Onion - 2 Nos [ medium sized , thinly sliced]
- Tomato - 1 [ large, sliced ]
- Ginger - 1 tsp [ paste / sliced ]
- Green Chillie - 1 large [ sliced ]
- Oil - 1/2 Tbsp [ I used Sunflower Oil..Coconut oil will give the real taste of Kerala]
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Coconut Milk - 1/4 cup [ I used light coconut milk]
- Water - 2 cups
- Bring water to boil in a sauce pan and cook the eggs in it. Sprinkle some salt on the top while cooking to prevent the eggs from breaking. It takes about 10 mins for the eggs to get cooked.
- To make peeling easier later on, put the cooked eggs in some cold water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wide mouth pan.
- Once it is hot, add mustard seeds and allow them to sputter.
- Now add curry leaves, followed by fennel seeds, green chillie and ginger paste. Saute for a minute.
- Now add sliced onion and salt. Saute this until onion becomes soft and lightly brownish.
- Next add the sliced tomato and saute till they turn mushy and soft.
- Meanwhile peel the eggs and make small slits on their sides.
- Now add the eggs , turmeric powder and pepper powder. Saute till they get coated with the gravy.
- Finally pour in the coconut milk and simmer for a few minutes before turning off the burner.
Egg Curry in Coconut Millk is ready to go to the table along with your favorite main dish...