My love for bread was a kind of relief for my mom.... As she was happy that I'll be able to survive in any part of the world having bread 3 times a day, without any complaints....Even after seeing bread in all forms here , this love hasn't gone away from me....But of course there have been so much of change in the choice of bread , with time....
Initially I used to miss those sweet milk-bread that we used to get in India....No more longing for them, with the awareness of sugar intake and the lack of nutrients in the white loafs....So I used to experiment healthy versions of bread at home....And today's banana bread is one such which I used to make whenever bananas become too ripened to eat them as such....
I have used whole wheat flour instead of plain flour and Iron-enriched Jaggery instead of white sugar....I've kept if plain this time......But I have tried the nutty versions before, by adding hazelnuts which were equally good.......
More than anything, I got the approval from my son to make it more often....
Now should I wait for the left over bananas to ripen or should I buy ripened bananas just to make this lovely loaf ??? hmmmm...confused
Anyway, You guys do try out this simple recipe when you don't want to throw away those over ripened bananas....
- Whole Wheat Flour / Atta - 1 1/2 cups
- Baking Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Powdered Jaggery - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 1/2 cup [ I used Olive oil]
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Ripened Banana - 2 Nos
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine the dry ingredients [1-5 ] in a bowl and keep aside.
- Blend the rest of the ingredients [ 6-9] in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Now combine the dry and wet mixtures together. This can be done either in a bowl by hand mixing or using the blender. [ I did using the blender.....Such an easy job].
- Transfer to a 8 x 4 '' bread loaf tin and bake for about 45-50 mins.
- While baking , after about 25-30 mins , cover the loaf tin with an aluminum foil for the rest of the time. This helps to prevent the top from getting burnt.
- Once the bread is done , allow it to rest in the pan for a 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Allow it to cool completely on the wire rack before slicing.
- You can refrigerate and use if you are making in larger quantities.
Enjoy this healthy sweet bread........