Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mulberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Mulberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

The mulberry bush near by house makes me nostalgic at times.....

As a kid I used to wander about along with my mom in our garden back home, where there was a mulberry bush and it fun waiting for them to ripen.....I get to do the same with my son, as he seems interested in plucking them too...So got a handful of them last day and here is the recipe that I tried..

He managed to pose for me with his little bowl of mulberries...Above all, he agreed to share his collection for my experiment...

The cake had come out really good and was tasty without any topping...But since I had used lesser sugar I thought of trying with some cream cheese topping and it was even better....Also I had used wholemeal flour along with plain flour just to add a healthy touch...You can go for complete plain flour to get an even better texture ...

It was really very simple to make and I simply loved the colour of it...I had kept my hubby guessing the ingredient..But as usual, he couldn't get it ...

So here is a must try cake recipe whenever you come across a handful of these lovely berries....


Ingredients
  1. Wholemeal Plain Flour           - 1 cup
  2. Self Raising Flour                    - 1 cup
  3. Corn Flour                               - 1 tsp
  4. Eggs                                          - 3 Nos
  5. Caster Sugar                           - 3/4 cup
  6. Olive Oil                                  - 1/2 cup
  7. Vanilla Essence                       - 1 tsp
  8. Mulberry                                 - about 1 cup
For Cream Cheese Frosting
  1. Cream Cheese                   -  1 cup
  2. Caster Sugar                      -  1/2 cup
Preparation
  1. Prepare an 8'' diameter cake tin and keep aside.
  2. Preheat the oven to 180°C  [ fan forced ].
  3. Beat the eggs until frothy. I had used a hand beater. [ was so lazy to switch on the electric one]
  4. Add caster sugar and vanilla essence and beat for few more minutes until all combined. 
  5. Blend the mulberries in a mixer to get their juice.
  6. Add this along with oil to the above mix and beat for another few minutes to combine them.
  7. Now slowly fold in the flour mix using a spoon until all combined. 
  8. Pour in to the cake tin and bake for 35-40 mins or until the cake is done. 
  9. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
  10. For the topping, bring the cream cheese to room temperature and beat it well for 2 mins. 
  11. Now add the caster sugar to it and beat again until well combined. 
  12. Pour over the cake slices while serving...

A simple , tasty and colourful cake is ready to be served..

Enjoy.....


My entry for Champa's Bake off event...

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous looking cake, especially the frosting makes me drool..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy and yummy cake, love the frosting...

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!! I adore mulberries. We had two trees in our garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious mulberry cake....looks great.

    simplehomefood.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    That looks amazing...:)Love it...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mulberries..Delicious cake! Mon-te pic kannan nalla rasamundu, soo cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...