|Coconut n Curry leaves Chutney Powder|
Today's recipe is a special chutney preparation from my aunty [ mom's sis ] which I love to have with rice.....During my last vacation to Kerala, she had prepared a full bottle of chutney powder for me without forgetting ....and as usual, the bottle was empty in a few days....
This chutney powder makes a nice accompaniment with rice...Lack of availability of fresh curry leaves was the reason for the delay in my making of it....Last week, I got a generous supply of some fresh curry leaves from my friend....And there was a packet of grated coconut lying in my freezer too...So without wasting much time I got hold of all the ingredients and the chutney powder was ready.....
Now, dont ask me to compare the taste with what my aunty makes...I love her version for sure....I do recommend using fresh coconut for this recipe, not the frozen ones as I tried......and also shallots instead of onion... Anyway, something is always better than nothing ...
Now here is the recipe which I have tried out.....
- Grated Coconut - 4 cups
- Curry leaves - 1 cup
- Dried Red Chillies - 15 No:s [ adjust as per your spice level]
- Shallots - 10 No:s [ I used 1 onion instead ]
- Asafoetida - 1/8 tsp
- Tamarind - a small lemon sized
- Salt - 2 tsps
- Dry roast ingredients 1 to 5 on a non stick pan, until the colour of the coconut turns brownish. Dont let them get burnt.
- Allow it to cool down.
- Dry grind the roasted mix along with tamarind and salt in a mixer.
- Store in a dry and clean container.
Enjoy this spicy chutney powder with rice....
Note: Keep it refrigerated for a longer shelf life.
I am sending this to
Herbs and Flowers Event : Curry leaves hosted at Taste Junction and initiated by PJ of Seduce your taste buds.