Sunday, October 24, 2010

Methi [ fenugreek ] Paratha direct from my veggie garden

Methi Paratha

When it comes to cooking, there is nothing more happier than getting veggies n herbs from your own backyard garden..

Having grown up seeing my grandfather and my mother growing their own little veggie patches was always an inspiration for me....Whenever I used to visit my grandfather, he never used to leave us empty handed...There will always be one or the other home grown veggie or fruit that he used to pick for us.....Little things like these are what I value most in life...


When I got my own little backyard.., from where to start with setting up my veggie garden was the question for me....And being a person who
 like to see quick results, methi leaves [ fenugreek leaves]  was the first option as they are so easy to grow , giving a handful of herbs in less than a month's time...Now, this is my second harvest of methi leaves as I couldn't get the snaps of the first one to share with you all...
These leaves are also a rich source of  minerals like Potassium, Calcium, Iron... and are enriched with Vitamin C and K....They are good for curing digestive disorders as they are very good laxatives and are also good for curing sore throats...[ source ]...So these are good reasons to plant them again and again from now on....

Here is a very simple and tasty Paratha recipe to start with using these nutritious leaves...




Ingredients 
  1. Wheat flour                   - 2 cups
  2. Methi leaves                 - 1 cup [ chopped] 
  3. Coriander leaves          - a handful [ chopped ]
  4. Ajwain seeds                 - 1 tsp [optional,  if you like its flavour ....I simply love them]
  5. Turmeric powder         - 1/2 tsp
  6. Red Chille Powder       - 1 tsp [ adjust as per your taste ]
  7. Salt                                 - 1 tsp
  8. Water                             - enough for kneading


Preparation 


  1. In a small pan add little oil and saute the leaves for few minutes and allow to cool. This is optional as you can skip this step and go to next one directly without sautéing... I found both the methods tasting good...
  2. Take flour in a mixing bowl and add the leaves along with the other ingredients.
  3. Add enough water and knead to form a soft dough.
  4. Keep aside for 1/2 hour. 
  5. Now make small balls from the dough and roll them out using a rolling pin. 
  6. Roast them on a flat pan with oil / ghee applied.
  7. Turn over to get both sides done. 

Parathas are ready to be served with some yogurt and pickle...

Enjoy them hot...

12 comments:

  1. hello deepti you are so lucky to have som any good thins in your garde !!Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  2. it feels so good na to prepare something fresh from the garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, loved the green methi in ur garden as well as in the paratha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The methi Paratha looks so yummmm...do I have to just sow the methi seeds to grow methi...want to desperately grow some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures, Deepti..Swantham gardenile veggies vechundakunna preparations-nu taste koodum elle..Methi paratha looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its certainly satisfying to grow and use home-grown veggies and herbs, I want to do this too. The ajwain in the paratha makes it all the more flavorful and yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deepti,
    It's great to cook with your garden fresh veggies and this parathas are yummy! I love the smell of methi leaves it is just so irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are right!! veggies from ur garden makes the dish more tasty...
    looks so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Methi parathas looks awesome..irresistible

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely parathas - nothing like growing your own!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ve been craving...thanx for posting Deepti...Am def making it this week...

    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! Love all kinds of parathas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...