Dates Spread or Dates Halwa...I'm not quite sure what to name it...It was something in between...In fact, it was an attempt to make Dates Halwa and when it reached the spread consistency I was so tempted to stop and taste it...But whatever the name is..., the end result was satisfying enough that it got over in 2 days...
Since I was trying it for the first time, I had used only 1/2 cup of dates..Should try out with higher quantity next time..Also I feel that milk can be avoided so that I can keep it for longer...
The colour of the spread reminded me of Jack fruit jam [ Chakkavaratti ] that we used to make at home in Kerala....hmm...how much I miss those tastes.....
We enjoyed this healthy spread with a few slices of bread...My son could have it with chappathi too...
Now here is the simple recipe..
- Dates - 1/2 cup [ pitted and chopped]
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Ghee - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Boil the water in a non stick pan and add dates to it.
- Once the dates become soft, smash with a wooden spoon.
- Now add milk and sugar and keep stirring.
- When it starts getting thicker, add ghee and continue stirring.
- Finally add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- The spread is ready once it starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Store in a clean and dry container and keep refrigerated.
A healthy and tasty spread is ready to go with bread.....Enjoy..