|Home Made Garam Masala|
Instead of using the shop bought ones, I like my mom's way of making it at home...And once you try it at home, I am sure, you will never again buy it from shops...It really makes such a lot of difference...!!
Just you need a little time and you can have the home made garam masala which can be kept in an air tight container and used for months.....Though I said months, I like to make it in lesser quantities...As the more you make and store, the harder to keep the flavor locked...So always try making it in lesser quantities...
There are different regional variations of garam masala depending on the combination of spices used...I like the one with fennel seed flavor having an edge over the others... You can always do your experiments with the combination and explore the choice of your taste buds with it...!!
Here is my recipe to start with !!
- Fennel seeds - 10 tsps
- Cinnamon Stick - 1 ( 2" long)
- Cloves - 10- 15 Nos
- Cardamom Pods - 10 - 15 Nos
- Black Pepper - 2 Tbsps
- Star Aniseed - 4 Nos
- Dry roast the ingredients in a skillet until a nice aroma starts coming. ( Don't let it get burnt. 5-7 mins roasting on a medium flame will do ).
- Allow it to cool and dry grind using a mixer.
- Store in an a dry and clean container and use as required.
Dont forget to experiment with other combinations too.....!! Enjoy !!!