Saturday, May 22, 2010

Irresistable Black Forest Cake !!!!!!




Black Forest Cake
I dont think there is anyone out there who would say No to this German beauty,  "The Black Forest Cake"....It was ( still is ) my favorite among the different cake varieties...And it is long since I wanted to give a try to this cake that has the perfect combination of chocolate, cream and cherries.....Finally the demystifying of Black Forest is ready for you !!

A few notes on my experience with the first attempt at Black Forest....Actually I had prepared one for my son last week and took the snaps & wanted to post it...But somehow, I wasn't happy enough with the final look of it...So I was wondering whether I should go ahead with the posting or not...Also, it is not everyday that you make such special cakes ....So I was in a dilemma...!!!

Luckily I got a request from one of my friends for her son's Bday party to make one more .....And I simply accepted it....( I was just waiting to make it more perfect & Never thought I will get an opportunity so soon....Thanks to you Pranjali !!..I have tried my best at making it better that my first attempt. ). 

Now, the decoration part is up to you....You can always go wild with your imagination and with the toppings available at your supermarket...!!

One more thing is that, I have been missing my oven for quite some time now ( Dont know if you people have noticed that there is nothing on my baking session for the last so many months :( ....Anyway that has given me an opportunity to explore my microwave oven for baking...It was literally lying at one corner of my kitchen before...So the baking part is done in microwave in this recipe...If you want to try in conventional oven , Please Preheat to 180C and bake for 40-45 mins instead.)

So finally my post is ready for you ....The recipe here has been adapted from various sites to make the final one... (Thanks to Google again )  !! 


Ingredients


For the Cake
  1. All Purpose Flour      - 1/2 cup
  2. Cocoa Powder            - 1/2 cup
  3. Egg                              - 6 Nos
  4. Caster Sugar              - 1 cup 
  5. Vanilla Essence          - 1 tsp
  6. Butter                         - 100gm
For the Syrup 
  1. Sugar                      - 1/4 cup
  2. Water                     - 1/2 cup
For the Filling
  1. Cherries                 - 1/2 tin ( 20 - 25 Nos)
  2. Water                     - 1/2 cup
  3. Sugar                      - 1/4 cup
  4. Corn Flour             - 2 Tbsp
  5. Thickened Cream   - 300 ml
For Topping
  1. Thickened Cream        - 300 ml
  2. Vanilla Essence          - 1 tsp
  3. Caster Sugar              - 1/4 cup
  4. Cherries                        - enough Nos
  5. Chocolate strands       - as required
Preparation
  • Gateau / Cake 
    1. Keep the cake pan ready by smearing with little butter and dusting with a little of flour and cocoa powder mix.
    2. Sieve together the flour and cocoa powder to a dry bowl , a couple of times. Keep this aside.
    3. Melt the butter and keep this aside.
    4. Add ingredinets 3 , 4 and 5 in to a large bowl and beat on a low speed until they turn yellow and creamy ( Dont over beat it).
    5. Slowly add the flour mix to this and mix with a spatula until they are well combined.
    6. Finally add the melted butter ( not very hot) to this and mix well so that no lumps are formed.
    7. Transfer the cake mix to the microwave safe cake pan and microwave it for 10 mins. (Keep and eye after 8 mins). A skewer inserted should come out clean once the cake is ready. 
    8. Take out from the pan and keep it for cooling.
  • Syrup 
    1. Dissolve the sugar in water and keep this ready. ( You can add any liquor flavoring to this which is used in the standard Black forest recipes..I haven't used any here. The juice of the cherries that come in their container also can be used instead for flavoring. ) 
    2. Once the cake is cooled enough, slice it to even layers.
    3. I chose 3 layers and cut them out using a bread knife. ( A Turn table will be of great use for doing this. Be careful while doing as you have to get the slices in proper shape. So do it really slowly.)
    4. Spread out the three pieces on a baking sheet and make small incisions in this using a fork.
    5. Now slowly spoon the syrup over the cake and spread it. The syrup goes into the cake and will make it a smooth texture inside. 
  • Filling 
    1. Whip the thickened cream on high speed until peaks form. ( Keep the bowl used for whipping, immersed in another larger bowl with ice cubes in it, to get this done faster. ). Keep this aside.
    2. Boil the cherries in water in a sauce pan on a medium heat. 
    3. Mix the sugar and corn flour in a small bowl.
    4. Once the cherries start boiling mash them with a spoon and add in the sugar and corn flour mix. Mix it uniformly and switch off the heat. Keep this aside. 
  • Cake Assembling
    1. Prepare a cake board using a thick cardboard piece covered with Aluminum foil. 
    2. Place the first layer ( which ever you feel the better one).
    3. Take enough whipped cream and even out uniformly on it with a flat spatula.
    4. Take half of the cherry filing and spread on to the top the cream layer almost uniformly. 
    5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 after placing the next layer.
    6. Finally put the 3rd layer and press down a bit so that the layers get firmer. ( Dont Worry about the look now,all the mess will be covered by the next step).
  • Topping
    1. Whip the cream as in the step 1 of filling section. 
    2. Once peaks start forming , slowly add in the caster sugar and vanilla essence and mix once more in slow speed to get them mixed uniformly. 
    3. Spread the whipped cream on the top and on the sides and even them out with a flat knife. ( Turn table is of great use in this stage as well. Now decoreate the sides and edges as per your imagination ).
    4. I added some chocolate strands on the sides and whipped cream for edging. 
    5. Also some small decorations with whipped cream and cherries. 

It really seems a hectic work..Is'nt it ? ....But believe me ,  You wont be disappointed by the end Result and the satisfaction that it gives you...So do try out on your next special occasion !!

    18 comments:

    1. Woooow Cake looks perfect dear,,looks beautiful choc cake all time faav one...Our wedding anniv is coming in next week am planning to bake cake n surprise my hubby.would like to try this one.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi , cake looks wonderful..I wish i shud bake a cake like this.. I have a doubt.iam a vegetarian.please tell me some replacement for egg ..

      ReplyDelete
    3. looks delicious,,,will try this once the kitchen is restored

      ReplyDelete
    4. Omg, wat a cute and prefect cake, truly irresistible...

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thanks buddies...

      dear Chithra...1 can ( 400 ml) Condensed milk with aerated cola (200ml)can be a good substitute...But I havent tried out that yet...!!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Mind blowing black forest cake. Loved the patience to click step by step to post it for us. Thanks a ton. Bookmarked:):)

      ReplyDelete
    7. OMG i can't believe my eye..what a delicious cake yarr. i have been trying to make it very perfectly.u did it..really awesome..

      ReplyDelete
    8. This cake is great!! I adore black forest cake.

      ReplyDelete
    9. love this cake its really delicious

      ReplyDelete
    10. lovely cake..I made this once, but the cream didnt turn out to the right consistency.May be I willtry this version, when I start baking again

      ReplyDelete
    11. yummy mouth watering cake Deepti!!

      ReplyDelete
    12. This cake looks lovely. Makes me hungry at the thought of it! Wow!

      ReplyDelete
    13. hello deepti
      so scrumptious !! thanks for the sharing !! Pierre de Paris
      http://pierre.cuisine.over-blog.com

      ReplyDelete
    14. Really looks divine.. I would love to have a piece of it anytime

      ReplyDelete
    15. This looks like a Pro. It is so amazing to know that you did such a pretty cake using microwave. And yes I can never say no to black forest. It is one of my favorite cakes until now.

      ReplyDelete
    16. absolutely irresistable!..the recipe's also simple...thank you for sharing it.

      I have a space too..do visit when time permits...

      happy to follow you.

      Cheers,
      Binitha
      yourstastefully.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...