One of my friends has asked me to post something vegetarian, as it is Easter fasting for her and being a default non Vegetarian like me, I know it is really difficult to find a new vegetarian dish daily.......I often find it easier to cook with the fish varieties than with the veggies :)...
Though I used to make this side dish before (It is called Erissery in Malayalam), got hold of a better version this vacation time from my MIL...Previously I used to make it more watery and that was not so appealing for me once I tried this version....So I reattempted the recipe after coming back and started loving it more than before...
Erissery is one of those typical side dishes from Kerala that gives you the flavor of roasted coconuts......Yes , The land of Coconuts cannot live without it :) ..
So here is the simple and tasty Erissery recipe specially for my friend, Amy.
(I know you are familiar with this side dish, but it is just a reminding in case if you have forgotten to make it often).
- Pumpkin - 1/4 Kg ( Peeled and cut into small pieces)
- Grated Coconut - 3 Tbsp
- Garlic - 1 pod
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Split Urad dal (
- Dried Red chillies - 2 Nos
- Curry leaves - 1 petal
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Take just enough water in a pan to cook the pumpkin pieces, adding salt to it. It may take 8- 10 mins.
- Drain the water (keep this separately) and smash the cooked pieces and keep aside.
- Dry grind the ingredients 2,3 , 4 and 5 in a mixer and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add oil. Once it is hot, add mustard seeds and allow them to sputter.
- Now add the lentil and stir till they are light brown in color.
- Put the Red chillies (cut into pieces) and curry leaves to this and stir for a minute.
- Now add the coconut paste from the mixer and saute till the coconut color turns brownish without getting burnt.
- Finally add the smashed pumpkin to this and mix uniformly. Now add the drained water to this and keep stirring till most of the water gets absorbed. ( Adjust salt if required).