Happy Republic Day & Happy Australia Day to all !!!
One more reason for a special menu at home for today is that it is my dad's Bday...
Felt good to be with him along with his grandson , on this day to add some happiness :)
Though Payasam preparation is what is going on in our kitchen, I digged out this sweet recipe from my drafts, which I had preserved to post for today as it is one of dad's favorites...
Maaladu is an instant laddu that has a soft texture that makes it melt in your mouth instantly. It is one of those indispensable items of Tamil Brahmin cuisine.
I learnt this recipe from my mom as she used to make it for special occasions at home...It is a simple and easy recipe to try out when you are in a mood to sweeten your taste buds...
Though the traditional recipe uses roasted gram alone, I've added some cashew nuts just to give it a crunchy texture....I hope nobody will ever say NO to cashews :)
- Roasted gram - 1 cup (If you are using unroasted ones, roast them in a pan without any oil)
- Cashew Nuts - 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 1 /2 cup
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Roasted gram / Pottu Kadala
- Take a clean and dry mixer and powder the roasted gram and sugar separately and then mix them together in a bowl. (Remember, Powder them separately !!!...This powder can be stored in an air tight container and can be used to make Maaladus as and when required)
- In a small pan heat the ghee just enough to melt it and add this to the above powder.
- Crush the cashew nuts to a coarse powder and add this to the bowl along with the cardamom powder.
- Now mix them all together and slowly roll them using your hand to make small balls. ( Be little patient to get them rolled without breaking..It needs some expertise)
Maaladu is ready to go direct into your mouth...Enjoy !!!!!!
Note : It can be stored in an air tight container and can be used within 1 week
I could make 16 laddus from the above recipe.