Thursday, January 7, 2010

Instant Mango pickle ( Kadumanga )

Kadumanga

" My mom makes it like this !!!!!!!! "  Hope this sounds familiar for any wife who attempts to make anything which is a trademark from your mother in law....I used to defend this statement from my hubby with the excuse that we never used to get the genuine Kerala items in Wollongong to make some dishes, the way it used to be made in Kerala...
( I know it is just an excuse to save myself :)  )


I never got much chance to be with my in laws as we were always away from our hometown.....So this vacation, I decided to take a few days more for the sake of my son who is enjoying like anything here , the company of his grandparents and all the beautiful things here....Also I could add some recipes from my mother in law too...

There are a lot of recipes from my MIL which I always wanted to try...Let me start one by one...Here is an instant pickle recipe from her which everyone in our family loves a lot...She used to make it in two ways...One is in a dry form and the other one is in a gravy form...I'm posting the dry one this time...Will try to post the gravy one next time...

Mango pickle is one indispensable item in the traditional Kerala Sadya......Last Onam time I had to compensate it with carrot pickle , as I couldn't get raw mangoes in Wollongong. So when I saw some raw mangoes at home here, I just couldn't wait to ask my MIL to prepare her special Kadumanga for me....Here is the recipe direct from her....
Try out this , as it is very easy to make when you are in need of an instant pickle !!!

Ingredients
  1. Raw mango                                                      - 3 (medium size)
  2. Red chillie powder                                           - 1 1/2 Tbsps
  3. Asafoetida powder( കായം  /  हिंग  )              - 1/2 tsp
  4. Fenugreek powder( ഉലുവ / मेथी )                - 1/2 tsp
  5. Salt                                                                     - 2 tsp
  6. Seasame oil ( gingely oil / നല്ലെണ്ണ )                - 2 Tbsps
  7. Mustard seeds                                                - 1 tsp
  8. Dried Red chillie                                              - 2 Nos
  9. Curry Leaves                                                  - 2 petals
Preparation
  1. Wash the mangoes and wipe them with a clean cloth to avoid any moisture. Cut them to small pieces and take in a clean and dry bowl.
  2. Add ingredients 2, 3, 4 & 5 to this and mix well.
  3. Heat a pan and add the oil. Once it is hot, add mustard seeds and allow them to sputter. 
  4. Now add the dried red chillies (split) and curry leaves to this. Just stir once and take it from the heat and add to the mango pieces. 
  5. Mix it well and the pickle is ready to be transfered to a clean and dry bottle. 
Note : It can be stored for about 1 week.

    2 comments:

    1. Loved your blog, awesome recipes, I will surely try them and as for the mango pickle, didnt even know that making pickle is so simple:)

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...