Being from Kerala, we are used to having rice for our daily lunch accompanied by fish (curry or fry or even both :) ) , a veg curry (1 among these are the options .....rasam , sambar, parippu, pulicherry, theeyal etc) and 1 dry vegetable dish (like thoran or mezhukkupuratti).
I always used to think why to make soooooo many side dishes to have rice.... Instead why cant we put all veggeies together and cook....
Veg Pulao is an option for me whenever I feel so lazy to go with the usual Kerala stuff...So as compared to my daily Kerala Lunch where in I need to cook atleast 3 side dishes , I found Vegetable Pulao a good alternative with minimal time spent.
Here is the Vegetable Puloa recipe that I used to try out for my lazy days....
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Carrot - 1 (medium sized, chopped)
Cauliflower - 10 - 15 florets (chopped)
Green peas - 1/4 cup
Ghee - 1 Tbsp ( You can use oil instead)
For the Gravy
Ginger - 1 small piece
Garlic - 2 pods
Green chillie - 1 large
Cardamom - 5 pods
Cinnamon stick - 1 piece
Cloves - 5 pieces
Onion - 1 medium size
Coriander leaves - 1 bunch
Mint leaves - 1 bunch (optional , if you like its flavor)
Salt - 1 1/2 tsp (Alter as per taste)
Water - 2 cups ( for cooking rice ).
1. Wash and drain the rice. Keep this aside.
2. Grind all the ingredients for the gravy in a mixer to a smooth paste without adding water.
3. Boil the required quantity of water in a saucepan along with salt.
(Approximately 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice ).
3. Heat a thick bottom pan and add ghee. Once it is hot, add the gravy and keep stirring for 5 minutes.
4. Add the vegetables to this and keep stirring till the gravy gets coated to the vegetables. It takes about 5 mins.
5. Now add the drained rice and stir for another 5 mins, till the gravy gets coated and the rice gets dry and separated.
6.I used the electric rice cooker for the rest of cooking. So, add the contents from the pan to the cooker and add the boiling water to it and cook until done.
Note: If you are using pressure cooker, add the boiling water to the cooker after step 5 and cook until done.
Vegetable Pulao makes a good combination with Pappad, Pickle and Raitha ( Salad ).