I was always reluctant to try pasta, keeping in mind the first commandment on serious eating by Michael Pollan...It says "Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food"....!!!
Also I was never attracted by the look given by the ready made sauce that goes into making a pasta salad...
But I always hear from my friends about having Pasta somewhat like daily basis...This has made me categorize Pasta under the easy cooking label ....& This point keeps tempting me at times when I get lazy about cooking ...
Finally I gave up my inhibitions & intuitions about pasta & decided to give it a try..
Anyway, I am not yet prepared to go with the ready made sauce..
So here is a spicy Kerala version of Pasta direct from my cooking lab.....
Pasta - 1 cup (I used Spiral ones)
Prawns - 1/2 Kg (Peeled & cleaned....I used the King Prawns)
Onion - 1 (medium size...chopped finely)
Tomato - 1 (medium size)
Green chillie - 1 (large)
Ginger - 1 piece
Garlic - 2 pods
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red chillie Powder - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp (alter as per taste)
Oil - 1 Tbsp ( I used Olive oil )
Coriander leaves - for garnishing.
- Marinate the Prawns with 1/2 tsp salt, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Keeping it for an hour in refrigerator will be better.
- Cook the Pasta in a saucepan with enough water. Add a few drops of oil and enough salt to it. Once it is done, drain it and keep aside.
- Heat a thick bottom pan and add oil. Once it is hot, add the mustard seeds. Allow them to sputter.
- Now add the grated ginger and garlic. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped green chillie and the onion. Add salt and saute till the onion becomes brown.
- Make a paste of the tomato by putting it in the mixer. Add this and keep stirring for a few minutes.
- Now add the marinated Prawns along with red chillie powder and pepper powder. Close with a lid and stir in between until the prawns get cooked. I didnt add any water for cooking.
- Finally add the cooked pasta and mix uniformily. Stir for few more minutes and the spicy pasta is ready.
I'm sending this to Ramya's Fusion food Pasta event..