Friday, November 20, 2009

Spicy Prawn Pasta

Add caption
I was always reluctant to try pasta, keeping in mind the first commandment on serious eating by Michael Pollan...It says "Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food"....!!!




Also I was never attracted by the look given by the ready made sauce that goes into making a pasta salad...

But I always hear from my friends about having Pasta somewhat like daily basis...This has made me categorize Pasta under the easy cooking label ....& This point keeps tempting me at times when I get lazy about cooking ...

Finally I gave up my inhibitions & intuitions about pasta & decided to give it a try..

Anyway, I am not yet prepared to go with the ready made sauce..

So here is a spicy Kerala version of Pasta direct from my cooking lab.....

Ingredients

Pasta                           - 1 cup (I used Spiral ones)
Prawns                       - 1/2 Kg (Peeled & cleaned....I used the King Prawns)
Onion                          - 1 (medium size...chopped finely)
Tomato                       - 1 (medium size)
Green chillie               - 1 (large)
Ginger                         - 1 piece
Garlic                          - 2 pods
Mustard seeds          - 1/2 tsp
Red chillie Powder    - 1 tsp 
Pepper powder         - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder     - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala          - 1 tsp
Salt                             - 1 tsp (alter as per taste)
Oil                               - 1 Tbsp ( I used Olive oil )
Coriander leaves      - for garnishing. 

Preparation

  1. Marinate the Prawns with 1/2 tsp salt, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Keeping it for an hour in refrigerator will be better.
  2. Cook the Pasta in a saucepan with enough water. Add a few drops of oil and enough salt to it. Once it is done, drain it and keep aside.
  3. Heat a thick bottom pan and add oil. Once it is hot, add the mustard seeds. Allow them to sputter. 
  4. Now add the grated ginger and garlic. Saute for a few minutes. 
  5. Add the chopped green chillie and the onion. Add salt and saute till the onion becomes brown.
  6. Make a paste of the tomato by putting it in the mixer. Add this and keep stirring for a few minutes.
  7. Now add the marinated Prawns along with red chillie powder and pepper powder. Close with a lid and stir in between until the prawns get cooked. I didnt add any water for cooking. 
  8. Finally add the cooked pasta and mix uniformily. Stir for few more minutes and the spicy pasta is ready.
Dont forget to garnish with some fresh coriander leaves before serving....


I'm sending this to Ramya's Fusion food Pasta event..





2 comments:

  1. I love this pasta. Would you like to send it to my event. Archived entries are welcome

    http://ramyasrecipe.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-first-event-fusion-foodpasta.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please have a look at Fusion Food: Pasta event roundup and accept Proud Participant Award as a token of appreciation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...