Protected by Copyscape DMCA Violation Detector

Subscribe to Panchamrutham

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Prawn Pakoda / Fritters....

Prawn Pakoda

Last week some of my friends at my son's playgroup asked if anyone can cook some Indian food for our playgroups's morning tea session..I got to know that they all are great lovers of Indian food......

So I didn't have to give a second thought before volunteering , as it is always great pleasure to cook for my friends...

It is such a great relief for the moms to be a part of such playgroups.... It was my friend Shelly who took me there...Now I just wait for the playgroup day to take him out and have fun for two hours....I should thank Julia for arranging such a wonderful time for us to hangout while our kids are playing and enjoying...Also it is a great delight to meet so many people from different places and cultures....
Keep up with the good work, all my Playgroup mates....It is really nice to be a part of it !!!!!!!!!   Cheers for our Chillout playgroup...

Now.........What to cook for the tea session was something I had to figure out...
Pakodas were the ones that came to my mind instantly........
Reasons behind the choice were 
  • Easy to make 
  • They go well with a cup of Tea
  • Even If I make them little less spicy, we can have it with some dipping sauce.  ( I was not sure how my Aussie freinds will have , if its too spicy)
So I decided on with Prawn Pakodas for the seafood lovers and Onion Pakodas for the Veggies...

Here is the recipe for Prawn Pakodas. Check out the recipe for the Onion Pakodas too...

Ingredients

  1. Prawns                                                      -  1/2 kilo(peeled and cleaned , Keep the tail for holding)
  2. Chick pea flour (Besan, Kadalamavu)  -  1/2 cup 
  3. Corn flour                                                 - 2 Tbsps
  4. Red chillie powder                                   - 1/2 tsp (add more if you want to make it hotter)
  5. Coriander leaves                                      - 1 bunch (finely chopped)
  6. Cumin seeds (Jeera)                               - 1/2 tsp
  7. Turmeric powder                                    - 1/4 tsp
  8. Garam Masala powder                           - 1/2 tsp
  9. Water                                                        - 1/4 cup (approximate)
  10. Salt                                                            - 1 tsp
  11. Oil                                                              - for deep frying.
Preparation









1. Marinate the prawns with 1/2 tsp salt , turmeric powder and 1/4 tsp of garam masala powder. Keeping  it for 1 hour in the refrigerator will be better.

2. When you are ready to make, mix all the remaining ingredients together to a smooth batter by adding water little by little. Dont make it too watery, as it may not stick on the prawns firmly.

3. In a thick bottom pan , heat the oil for frying. 
(Make sure the oil is hot enough by dropping a bit of the prepared mix. It should pop up quickly once the oil is hot. )
Now just take the prawns by their tail , dip in the prepared batter and fry them until the color turns golden. Turn them over so that both sides get fried equally.


Dont forget to serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.

Here are the ones I prepared for my friends....

You can read the love for Indian food from their happy  faces....

Thanks to all of you for this  memorable snap :)








4 comments:

  1. Hi Deepti, this is amazing work yar....I was doing mail check and suddenly saw your blog out of curiosity...this is for the first time after Panchamrutham...excellent, outstanding and spectacular. I am not sure whether Pranjali had seen all these new recipes but I am really stunned....this is really a great motivation and fantastic reference for cooking in the "forced bachelor" phase!! Three cheers for all your efforts...I can visualise the futuristic South Indian restaurant in Keiraville!! would be really grateful if we can taste at least one of these latest recipes may be Prawn Pakoda or Kozi Varutharachatu with Sticky Date Pudding.............just kidding:-)....really very hungry now....I will hunt for something in the kitchen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks 4 the comments Ashish
    Without Pranjali in the Front Desk no chance of Keiraville restaurent Proposal :)
    deepti

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..prawn pakoda looks yummy..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time 2 ur Wonderful Blog with a Good collection of recipes...
    Keep up with the good work...i glad to follow u.
    Do visit my blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Town Square
Chefs Blogs
All Cooking Sites Indian Cooking Blogs