Monday, November 23, 2009

Mango Muffins

Mango Muffin

Mango, 'The King of Fruits' is my all time favorite. I can eat them in any form, in any season and at any time of the day ( unfortunately they are not available at all seasons) .



Now that summer is slowly starting here,  mangoes are reaching the market these days. And if I see mangoes,  it is really hard for me to come home without picking a few. 

Last day, I was in a mood for some baking and wanted to give a try with the mangoes. So,  saw a couple of mango cake recipes here and there. But I couldn't pick one recipe to suite my availability of ingredients  and choice of taste buds. So I decided to go on with a combination of picking a bit from all. 

Most of the recipes that I saw had used white sugar. But I am using brown sugar for my version, as I had to finish some left over brown sugar. Hence I couldn't retain the yellow color of the mangoes. Also nuts were out of stock and so I had to go with raisins alone, for the topping.

Finally, here is the recipe that I had tried out and the outcome was really satisfying.

Ingredients

  1. Mangoes                      - 2 ( choose ripe and juicy ones) 
  2. Bicarbonate of Soda   - 1 tsp
  3. Butter                           - 100 g
  4. Brown sugar                - 1 1/4 cup ( castor sugar can be used instead)
  5. Eggs                              - 2
  6. Nutmeg Powder         - 1/2  tsp 
  7. Cardamom Powder    - 1/4  tsp 
  8. Vanilla Essence           - 1 tsp ( optional)
  9. Self Raising Flour       - 1 1/2 cups

(You can use plain flour instead if you can add 2 tsps of baking powder to every 250 grams of plain flour.... This is an approximation)

  1. Melted butter              - to grease the baking pan
  2. Raisins / Walnuts        - For topping
  3. Icing sugar                   - 1 tsp (optional)


Preparation 
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. 
  2. Grease and keep the Muffin tray with melted butter and line the base with muffin paper cups. 
  3. Peel and cut the mangoes. Blend them in a mixer to a smooth pulp. Tranfer this to a mixing bowl.
  4. Add the melted butter, brown sugar and Bicarbonate of soda to this and mix uniformly. 
  5. Now add the eggs one by one, followed by flour and  the other ingredients. Mix them without forming any lumps. 
  6. Spoon the mix to the already prepared muffin tray and top them with some raisins / nuts. Bake for 40-45 mins. (Keep an eye on it , as the time may vary slightly depending on your oven type. Try to keep in the middle row. 
Allow them to cool and dust them with little Icing sugar before serving  & Enjoy with a cup of Tea !!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting!!!

    Ankita
    http://eat-hearty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my space. happy to follow you back dear!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...