Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Deepavali (Diwali)..........The Festival of lights

Diwali Light

Belated Diwali Wishes to all !!!!!!


I was thinking of posting this blog in time for  Diwali. But these days nothing goes as per my plan, as my schedules are all decided by my little son. 

Thank God, at least now that I could finish my drafting. 





Deepavali also known as Diwali is one of the main festivals of India. The name "Deepavali" is from Sanskrit and it traslates to "Deepam" meaning "light" and "Avali" meaning "Row". 
It is thus known as the Festival of lights.

According to Hindu beliefs, Deepavali is celebrated to commemorate the return of Lord Rama to his Kingdom of Ayodhya after defeating the Demon King Ravana ( from the Epic Ramayana) and the lighting of lamps signifies the victory of good over evil. 

In India Diwali is declared a National holiday.

Diwali is celebrated with slight alterations in different parts of India. In Kerala Deepavali is limited to bursting firecrackers. Also people take oil bath early in the morning and wear new dresses. Being from Kerala our Diwali celebrations were also limited to the above.
(You can read further in detail on Diwali here ).

It was only after leaving India that I started realizing how much I miss such colourful Indian festivals.  But I am so lucky to have so many friends over here , who ,  at times give me the feel of India. They are from other parts of India where Diwali is celebrated with a much higher vigor. We too join in with the same spirit to make those Diwali days special.

Through the Indian Association of Wollongong (IACA) we all gather to have a Diwali celebration where in many Indian talents showcase their performance and we get to eat some Indian food  !!!!

This time the Indian association had conducted a Diwali light competition and it was my hubby who encouraged me to join in with some design. 

Here is the Diwali light decorated at our backyard which had won me a prize in the competition.                                       

Though the prize has not yet reached my doors, I could'nt wait to take this chance boasting about it. 


I would like to thank IACA for giving us a feel of the Indian celebrations through such gatherings and events. 
     

4 comments:

  1. Very good and detailed information on Diwali festival. Thanks for sharing very valuable information on Diwali festival.

    Please see my Lamps of India message relating to Diwali festival which i shared in my Heritage of India blog.

    http://indian-heritage-and-culture.blogspot.in/2013/09/lamps-of-india.html

    Alongwith sharing my collections relating to Indian Heritage and Culture in my blog i am also giving seminars to school and college children and so far i gave 2 seminars on Indian Heritage and Culture.

    These are my 2 seminars links.

    http://indian-heritage-and-culture.blogspot.in/2013/02/my-first-seminar-on-indian-heritage-and.html

    http://indian-heritage-and-culture.blogspot.in/2013/07/my-second-seminar-on-indian-heritage.html

    Please look into my Heritage of India blog and share your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We celebrate Diwali here in Australia, with friend and loved ones. So much fun and excitement. I am so excited for this coming Diwali 2015 and I'm sure the celebration will be as exciting and full of fun. May you all have a wonderful Diwali too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Blog.. It's help to all.

    For more related information visit us. Authentic Indian experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!!! I like this website so much it's really awesome.I have also gone through your other posts too and they are also very much appreciate able and I'm just waiting for your next update to come as I like all your posts... well I have also made an article hope you go through it. Diwali 2017

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...