I am usually very lazy when it comes to making pickles, considering the availability of them at Indian stores.
Also Mango pickle is the favourite in my home & I rarely get to see any raw mangoes in stores here....So I never used to take pain to make pickles except for the Onam Days to go with OnaSadya...
Last week I prepared Pulao and we were running out of ready made pickles...Luckily I was in a mood to make some instant pickle...Only carrots were available and so I decided to go on with a carrot pickle....And some dates were left in the refrigerator....so added them too....Thus came the carrot & dates pickle!!!
It gave a nice flavor when the dates were added...
My pickle bottle got empty in a weeks time....
( In fact I made a little only, since it was my first trial with this combination).
Thought of sharing my carrot pickle recipe for the pickle lovers there....Its worth giving a try !!!
Carrots - 2 (medium sized)
Dates - 10 pieces (chopped)
Gingely oil - 1/4 cup
( Sesame oil / Nallenna )
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Curry leaves - 1 bunch
Red chillie powder - 2 tsps
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
(Hing / Kayam)
Fenugreek powder - 1/4 tsp
(Methi / Uluva)
Salt - 3 tsps
1) Peel and cut the carrots into small cubes. Steam them until they are soft. Take out and spread them on a paper towel for some time to take out the water from surface.
2) Heat 2 tsps oil in a pan. Once it is hot, add the mustard seeds. Allow them to sputter. Now add the curry leaves, followed by the dates. Stir for a few minutes.
3) Now add the carrots and stir for another few minutes. Be careful not to smash them. Take it from the pan and keep in a bowl ( Dont forget to use a dry bowl).
4) In the same pan add 2 tsps oil. Keep the flame in low. When the oil is hot , add the remaining ingredients. Stir for a few minutes without burning. Add this to the mix in the bowl and stir in uniformily.
5) Now you can transfer the pickle to a clean and dry bottle. Heat the remaining oil and add on the top.The Pickle is ready.
Note: Keeping it for a day before using will be better.