Pulisherry is an authentic Kerala side dish which goes well with rice for lunch.
Pulisherry can be prepared with a variety of alternate vegetables as the main ingredient and accordingly the name varies. The main ingredient can be Cucumber (Vellarika), Mango, Pineapple, Banana etc.
The one I have prepared today is the Vellarika Pulisherry.
And here is the recipe.
- Cucumber - 1 medium size
- Curd (Yogurt) - 3 Tbsps
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chillie powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp (alter as per taste)
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Shallots - 3
- Dried Red chillie - 2
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - a sprig
For the Gravy
- Coconut - 4 Tbsps (grated)
- Cumin seeds - 1tsp
- Shallots - 3
- Green chillie - 1
1) Peel and cut the cucumber into small pieces and boil it in a pan with enough water and salt till it gets cooked.
2) Put the ingredients for the gravy in a mixer and grind it into a smooth paste.
3) Add the paste from the mixer to the cooked cucumber along ith the turmeric powder and red chillie powder and boil it for a few minutes.Keep stirring in between.
4) Switch off the heat and add the beaten curd to it. Stir it for a few minutes. The Pulisherry can be now transferred to a serving bowl.
5) In a separate pan add oil and put the mustard seeds. Once it starts sputtering , add the shallots (finely chopped) , fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and dried red chillies.Saute them for a minute without getting them burnt. Get it from the pan and add on the top of Pulisherry. The Vellarika Pulisherry is ready to be served!!!!!!!