Friday, October 16, 2009

Egg / Eggless Fried Rice



Typical Kerala Lunch ( ഊണ് ) with rice and fish is what we prefer for lunch daily. I feel greatly relieved if some fish is there, as I found fish recipes to be easier than the veggies. Anyways we cant get fish daily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






So here is one veg fried rice recipe which I used to try on those 'FISHLESS' days. It gives a difference in taste from the usual Kerala lunch. 

Vegetarians please avoid steps 2, 3 & 9

Ingredients



Basmati Rice       - 2 cups

carrot                 - 1   (grated)
Broccoli             - 1   (sliced)
Red Capsicum   - 1/2 (sliced)
(You can take your choice of vegetables like beans, cabbage, cauliflower, Mushroom etc.)


Onion                  - 1
Coriander leaves  - a bunch
Ginger                - 1 piece
Green chilli         - 1 (large)
Eggs                   - 2


Salt                    - 1 1/2 tsp
Pepper               - 1 tsp
Soya sauce        -  1 Tbsp
Tomato sauce    -  1 Tbsp
(Above items are just approximate. You can alter as per your taste.)

Oil                    - 1 Tbsp

Preparation


1) Cook the rice with a few drops of oil and salt.                                Make sure you don't over cook it. Drain excess water and keep it aside.










2) Beat the eggs with salt and pepper ( as per taste).

3) Heat a pan, add 1/2 tsp oil. When the oil is hot pour the egg and scramble it.Keep this aside for topping.

4) Add remaining oil to the pan and add the grated ginger. Saute it till its turns brown.
Then Add the chopped green chillie.

5) Saute it for a minute and add the chopped onion. Saute it till it turns brown. Add Salt and pepper.

6) Add the vegetables in the order of their cooking times. Add Broccoli first as it needs more time.
Saute it for about 5 mins till it turns soft. Then add Capsicum followed by carrot.Saute it till they are almost cooked.

7) Add Soya sauce and Tomato sauce and saute for another few minutes.

8) When it turns mushy , add the cooked rice little by little mixing uniformly. Take care so that the rice doesnt get broken.

 9) Add the Scrambled egg.

10) Garnish with coriander leaves .

The Egg fried rice is ready to be served with curd / pickle / pappad etc

Sorry that I was in such a hurry to serve my hubby who had come from office for lunch, that I didnt get time to take a snap of it on the serve.May be I can post it the next time I prepare.

Also if you have tried out this recipe do send me the snaps so that I can add them too.

Try out this recipe and do let me know.

Happy Diwali to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good work! now just put all of it in a box and parcel it to me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...