Thursday, September 24, 2009

Green Gram Dosa....A Healthy Start for the Day

Green Gram Dosa

Each morning the first thing that comes to mind when I get up from bed is "What for breakfast today" ...!!!




In those childhood days I never used to think about this big dilemma that Mom might have faced. And even me and my brother used to demand variety in food daily. Now that I am in her position I understand  the difficulty in choosing a different item for each day. An easy recipe would be a better option. So here is a dosa recipe which I found easier and healthier than the normal one.

Dosa is something which my hubby & son likes a lot...But during winter days it is really difficlut to get the dosa batter fermented. The green gram dosa was something that I tried during these days as per my mother's suggestion, as it needs no fermentation.

Here goes the recipe that I used.

Ingredients:


  1. Idly Rice                                           -   1 cup  
  2. Green Gram (whole Mung Dal )   -   1 cup    
  3. Onion (medium size)                      -  1    
  4. Ginger                                              -  1 piece 
  5. Green chillie                                    -   1 (large)
  6. Salt                                                   -   as per taste

       
Preparation

1. Wash the rice and green gram and soak them in water for 2-3 hrs.












2. Grind the soaked rice , green gram, chillie, onion chopped) and ginger in a mixer to a smooth batter. You can see the batter with bubbles as if it is fermented.


3. Take the required amount of batter at a time, add salt and dilute it with more water. The consistency of the batter should be like that of milk for making this dosa.


4. Heat a Tawa ( I use an Iron - tawa which I have kept  exclusively for dosa making)  and apply oil and smear it with a piece of cut onion. This will make sure the batter is not sticking on the tawa while making dosa. Pour the dosa batter and make sure you make it fast as it  should be very thin. Cover it with a lid to get it done faster.






5. Apply some oil or ghee on the top and turn it over to get the other side done.










6. The Dosa is ready to be served with the chutney of your choice.











I found this dosa to be an easier one as the only thing you need to remember to make a healthy breakfast is to just soak the rice and green gram before going to bed.  Try out this recipe and do let me know the outcome.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Deepti...Tried this one and absolutely loved it....cant think of anything more healthier for breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ramya..Its so nice 2 hear that U've tried n liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...